RECIPE QUINOA SALAD WITH FENNEL, LEMON AND POMEGRANATE
This recipe for quinoa salad is so wonderful! Light but filling, healthy and simply delicious. The original recipe is from the amazing Ottolenghi. I changed the amounts slightly, left out the chili and added some wild rice and baby spinach.
Ingredients for one big bowl quinoa salad, enough for 4-6 people:
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used much less)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (2 1/2 pounds), cut lengthwise into 1/4′-thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup wild rice (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 1 chili, seeded, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1/2 small pomegranate)
Preparation quinoa salad:
Heat 1/4 cup oil (or less) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is just tender and lightly golden, 15-20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, cumin, and sugar; cook for 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the wild rice according to instructions if you want to add it (or use some leftover wild rice, that’s what I did and how it actually ended up in the recipe). Bring quinoa and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to pan. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
Using a small sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from the lemon. Cut between membranes to release segments; discard membranes and roughly chop. Add the lemon with any juices and remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the quinoa and stir. Finally add the fennel, chili, and herbs and toss gently to incorporate. Check taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer the quinoa salad to a platter and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds.